Sorry
Much apologies for the blog withdrawal for the next couple of days.
These are difficult times for everyone in the news business.
But I hope to post news that I gather on my own time over here, as well as to continue our discussions on the five Fs.
Thanks to Liz for setting this up and, of course, SteveM's technical support.
Let's stay in touch.
These are difficult times for everyone in the news business.
But I hope to post news that I gather on my own time over here, as well as to continue our discussions on the five Fs.
Thanks to Liz for setting this up and, of course, SteveM's technical support.
Let's stay in touch.
****
Mahalo to Auntie Ronnie for some tantalizing LoCal Calf Call pics!






106 comments:
I knew the food pics would be coming out soon!!
Yea Ronnie!
HIHO!
OK gang, lets get this show rollin! I'm fired up to get this new blog going!
YYEEEEHAWWW!!!!
Wow A-Joe - didn't knew you woke up this early...
poke!!! yum!
Mahalo for the fuud pics Auntie Ronnie!
At home today, listening to AM 940, and Debbie Nakanelua-Richards talking about the Aloha Week parade. Can't wait to be home to go to events like that & the hula festival this weekend at Moanalua Gardens.
Who are the people in the pics?
Goorookin' fuud dea!
Howzit everyone!
fo'get my password :-)
Tsai-kos - to keep your regular blog names and links, you can choose the Name/URL identity under the comment box. No ned be a Google /Blogger if you aren't already.
:(
(stumbling around with band-aid on several stubbed toes)
Whoa! Just trying fo' imagine wat going happen in da A-house today.
...and wat about WarriorMojo? Poor guy, he going tink we wen ditch him!
So, if I am hearing correctly. ST will put up stuff he does while not at work (no conflict of time). So- perhaps SJ and Myki or other, say, "practice regulars" could interview ST and take pictures and post THEIR info. Yes???
Just a thought.
HIHO!
loa: glad you made it here. don't know if you saw my post re the ink cartridge the other day. email me at 808cruiser at gmail dot com
sjmacro
stretch, your tsai-kos mail.
sj should have a lot of pictures to share with everyone.
Just to let everyone know, deposit was made and Krazy Karaoke is all set for Aug 16. SteveM will send out details later.
Lizk, Stretch: i'll link pics to my Picasa Web albums. Won't be done today though. Have a grad party to go to--sjmacro
sj - :)
sj- great! Pls email me a couple to decorate the blog too!
oos- that was from me, sj!
[blockquote tag does not work]
stretch said...
just to let everyone know, deposit was made and Krazy Karaoke is all set for Aug 16. SteveM will send out details later. [end of blockquote]
Yes, we're on-- so mark your calendars for the August 16 Big Karaoke Call in the big room of Krazy Karaoke on Young Street.
RSVP count = 31 as of last night
Maholo to Stretch for obtaining the room for us!
Good morning Tsaikos!
Glad to see everybody supporting ST & HA staffers.
Pomai - I'd like to get a tsaikos email.
WDoc - Friday looks like the best day for me next week. The earlier the better - drop off before going to work. Let me know.
Have a great day everyone.
OK back to work.
Would love to attend the Phuket Thai CC, but I have to babysit. Shootski!
SteveM- we can quote by putting it in italics. lemme see.
This is the quoted material
Ok..
HiHO!
For those that want to bookmark this site:
http://tsai-ko.blogspot.com/
Since BG wanted me to post contact info — please e-mail me, jnagaoka (at) hawaii.rr.com with your blog name and preferred e-mail address(es). (If you have multiple preferred addresses, list them all.) I have two e-mail groups going, one with non-tsai-kos.com e-mails and the other consisting of tsai-kos.com e-mails that Pomai is creating.
(BG: You have to do that too!)
And LizKauai or Stephen: Do you think you could create a special post so that people could post Happy Birthday wishes to BrianK? I'll send the link to him on Facebook.
For those who care, Michelle Wie is 5 under through 12 holes today. 10 under total and in a tie for 5th place.
Hope Wie doesn't end up in Q school! How humiliating that would be!
Also for those who care, word on the street is that UHfan808 will be attending her first CC!
Aw, this feels like home.
OK, I have to go outside and march now.
Sad situation.
Take an umbrella....
OK Jason, Brian's shout is up!
TOM and BARRY - get well soon!!!
Thanks Liz!
to follow up what stretch posted...
Wie finished at 12 under par, 7 under for the day and is currently in 2nd place.
YAY Michelle!!!
jm2375 send me an email at pomai@tsai-kos dot com so that I can send you your password.
Need some help here. I have been working on a new website that will be sort of like an online media guide for all of the UH sports programs, starting with the football program first covering the years 1909 through 2008, what I need is a good name for this site, any serious suggestion will be considered. Thanks
Pomai - my first suggestion is do NOT ask homey
What do you guys think of the Brett Favre situation??
I relate it to a guy telling his girlfriend, it's time to move on and go their separate ways. So now the girlfriend moves on, makes a decision to find another man. She finds someone and now the old guy wants back in. Too late buddy, everyone else has moved on except you. Either find another girl or be by yourself the rest of your life.
stretch his name would be too short!!!!!!
Stretch, I think it was papa Leahey who made a good point when he said that Green Bay would be stupid to go with an unproven quarterback. Favre is proven and can taken the team to the Super Bowl. They should welcome him back.
The only thing he's "proven" in the past coupla seasons is that he'll "choke" in the playoffs.
d1shima -- whatever you do, do not make a fuud bet with gigi regarding Favre...
Favre encountered the female dilemma. You know when there's a party and they can't decide what dress or muu muu to wear. By the time they decide then it's too late. Party has started.
Pomai - I had a killer name but for some reason I forgot it.
Where's Ronnie?
Yep, d1, I won bets against 2 Tsaikos.
1st bet -- I bet that ST would be more loquacious than Ferd on the L&L Show, and I won. SteveM paid for my and hubby's meals at Camellia.
2nd bet -- I bet that the Celtics would win the national championship, and I won. Stretch bought me dinner at Genji.
Here's a link to an NPR piece about Spam Sushi made by Muriel Miura:
http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=92181231
Making me hungry...
Gigi said.Stretch, I think it was papa Leahey who made a good point when he said that Green Bay would be stupid to go with an unproven quarterback. Favre is proven and can taken the team to the Super Bowl. They should welcome him back.
Nah Gigi. The Packers should move on.
I think the Packers have moved on, it's Favre trying to get back in the saddle.
Now back in the day when Air Jordan first retired. The Bulls were crying to have him un-retire. So his Airness un-retired and goes out and wins another championship and another and another.
I don't think Favre can do that. Wanna bet?
Okay, why do those lunches have only one scoop rice?
I think if Favre rejoins Green Bay, he can win a Super Bowl. But, he can't if he joins a different team. Of course, it depends on whether he is conditioning himself during the summer. What's he doing? Just watching TV?!
Remember, Jordan couldn't win a national championship with the Wizards, but he did with the Bulls.
gigi - if, big if, Favre does so happen to play for the Packers again I bet he doesn't win a Super Bowl.
homey- Ronnie was at work and could not access this blog from there for some reason.
She'll be back sometime pau hana
OK, homey, you have your bet. Let's make the prize LUNCH AT CAMELLIA.
This is the bet: I bet that if Favre joins Green Bay this year, he will win the Super Bowl in 2009. You bet he will not win it.
Lemme See if this works:
http://a904.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/images01/62/l_f40ab3d1f7e5f857614eef27b24aab1f.jpg
It's a group pic of the LoCal gang.
I had no idea that this particular topic was going on since the topic seemed to be limited to fuud in its early postings.
Since the posts aren't numbered, then we need to remember to log the time if we're responding to something.
Has AL posted any additional information about the July 30 Cattle Call yet? Questions I asked earlier on the HA site were:
1) What is meant by a pre-set menu? Plate service as is done at most banquets where everyone gets the same meal? Or family-style as done at many Chinese restaurants or the Buca di Beppo in Ward Center? Or a buffet line either set up just for the Tsaikos or for all their customers that day?
2) Can we take out the food rather than eat there? DrDoc will be at a conference right down the street with the lunch provided. If so, then he can have my lunch for dinner that night.
3) If not, can we attend without
eating and pay a small service charge for water?
4) If none of the first three options is available, then who gets the money if someone doesn't eat anything but has to pay the full tab?
STEPHEN TSAI: Re your 11:40 am post - march where? A picket line?
STRETCH: The check is in the mail, the check is in the mail, hihothederryo thecheck is in the mail. It's to Na Koa - sent to your Lihue address as that's the only one I have.
JM2375: Will call to make arrangement for pickup.
RONNIE: Are you the blonde in the picture?
This is where you all are. It's like having someone tell you the party's at Ed's and everyone's at Homey's.
Doc, someone said that Al and his wife are enroute to Vegas.
I have eaten at Phuket Thai. Food was served like at a Chinese restaurant where everyone partook of various dishes.
Al is planning such a menu. I guess everyone will split the tab.
Why don't you want to eat there? Seems odd.
Gigi:
Without going into really gruesome details, my food selections are really limited. Nice thing about this is that I can eat all the ice cream and related dishes I want.
gigi,
Hey, I'll go in on that Brett Favre bet, too.
Lunch at Camellia if I win, since homey is already covering your lunch if you win, I'll get da water! ;-)
Nah, we can wager on the next cc.
W/Doc ~`
RE: 07/30 CC
Seating is limited as Al pointed out. If you & Doc take up 2 seats and are not eating, you deprive those who want to come for lunch a seat, and they are put on a wait list. I'm not attending, so it's not a problem for me, but for others...well, you know what's pono.
huh, d1? Are you betting that Favre will win? Or that he will lose?
gigi - I want in on that bet also. I say if Favre comes back to the Packers, they will NOT win the Super Bowl. You name the bet.
OK, Stretch, the prize will be lunch at Camellia on a different date from the one set with Homey.
Same with you, d1, different date.
DIFFERENT DATES IF I WIN. IF I LOSE, THEN I WILL TREAT ALL 3 OF YOU ON THE SAME DATE.
THE BET IS NOW CLOSED TO OTHERS.
Haha- great spirit!
Going home now. C U L8ters!
Kekoa:
DrDoc would not be attending in any case because he will be at a conference. If he were, hed'd be eating. I'm the one who cannot.
There has been no mention as of this writing how many people can be accommodated nor how many have signed up - unlike the Karaoke Call where the max is 55 if I remember correctly and about 30 or so have done so.
Since food - or fuud as it is known by around here - is only one of the five Fs the blog is about, then should there be some kind of accommodation made for people who want to attend these events but who will not be eating?
Don't forget that there are also some folks who are on limited incomes around here who would like to come to these events, but really cannot afford to.
Last week, we paid $40 for the two of us, but I only ate cake, but I didn't deprive anyone from attending because I didn't eat. Was I supposed to stay away?
When it's announced how many can attend the Cattle Call and how many have signed up and how many are on the wait list, then I can make a decision.
Let's get ready to RRRUUUMMMM-BLE!!!
I have to agree that Favre needs to hang it up and move on. He has played this back and forth (am I gonna come back, am I gonna retire) game for several years. He finally made a decision and now he wants to walk back into his position and stir things up again. There has to be a reason why he retired in the first place.
We all have to live with the choices we make.
Has anyone else noticed that the total posts today are at 192 and counting. Not bad since it has been moved. Way to go Tsaikos!
W/Doc - It's a small restaurant that A-Sports chose because this particular CC was a treat for her by Al. I believe that there are only 25 seats available in this small cafe. Nothing that she or Al could control.
Others decided to have lunch there after this site was chosen. Al is coordinating it since he's the host. So...it's not about the have's or the have not's, rich or poor. It's purely logistical, and so it would seem that if you're just going to take up a seat and not partake of the excellent fuud then why are you making this a non-fuud fight?
It's about lunch first, then some have to dash back to work, others will stay to talk as often happens. Why do I feel like I had to spell it out in Braille?...I don't want to make this a tan-ta-dahn issue, and I don't mean to, but I hope you get it now. Whew!
I was watching the Channel 2 news and they were reporting on the HA sign waving that took place today. While watching the video, I noticed our long lost video master taking video of the people waving signs. I wish she would go out to take videos of the football guys out there.
Stretch, you actually watched Joe the awful man Moore??? I have long boycotted that station cause I cannot stand that man. What an ego he has!
I am really proud of myself; I stayed away from the online Advertiser all day and plan to do so tomorrow also.
Anyway, I will be off the computer tomorrow cause we are installing carpeting. Gotta disconnect the puter.
I guess, layoffs notwithstanding, the contracts are still unfinished for the workers that are left.
Tough times for all.
Liz and SteveM
Much Mahalo for this blog!
ST, Mike and Leila,
hang in there. I went thru several wage cuts, wage freezes, and layoffs. The relationships between management and the trenches were never the same after.
"The rival Honolulu Star-Bulletin is privately owned by Canadian newspaperman David Black and is published by Oahu Publications Inc., which also owns MidWeek and other local publications. It has 400 employees.
"It's always tough to see folks lose their jobs, whether from competing media or other industries such as the airlines," said Dennis Francis, Oahu Publications president and publisher. Until 2004, he was the general manager of the Advertiser.
"There is no question that the economy is slowing for many businesses in Hawaii," he said. "Oahu Publications is not immune, but thankfully is not feeling the impact as severely as some," he said.
Francis did not reveal whether job cuts or other reductions in operational costs are under way or being contemplated. However, the company is preparing to repaint and replace carpeting."
From KHNL
http://www.khnl.com/Global/story.asp?S=8701139&nav=menu55_2
Interesting article
http://media.www.kaleo.org/media/storage/paper872/news/2008/07/16/SportsCommentary/Regents.Review.Disrespects.Athletics.Fans-3391429.shtml
HA layoffs news links:
http://www.khnl.com/Global/story.asp?S=8689256
http://www.khon2.com/news/local/25549319.html
Article
http://www.kitv.com/money/16927275/detail.html
Test
Trying to figure this out...why is it blue names and tan background?
I have just added links to other blog sites and SteveM's website.
JaM, You have the choice of posting as a gmail user- which puts a link back to your profile.
Or you can do the Name/Url kind that the old blog uses. But this one does not keep your settings and you have to enter it every time, I think.
JaM, your name is blue cause you registered as a Google/Blogger, right?
My name is black cause I did not. I just use the Name/URL option.
All this happened very quickly last night and there were hurried calls to ST after he put his notice up.
Thank goodness for the technology that allows us to continue without so much as a hiccup!
ok it is green when displayed...
when posting a comment mode it is blue with tan background.
Stretch,
The ex-girlfriend analogy that you and others are using about Favre has a *serious* flaw in it. Favre has asked the Packers to let him go if they do not want him and Green Bay has refused. So, it isn't like he's an ex-girlfriend who wants to get back together with her ex, it is more like Favre is asking for a divorce but his spouse has refused to grant it.
If you look into Green Bay's allegations of tampering from Minnesota, they seem to believe that the Vikings want Favre to be their starting QB this season. And if you look at their roster, Favre would be a good fit with the Vikings and they have a pretty good team outside of the QB spot.
If what *Green Bay* is saying is true, then the analogy is that Favre wants a divorce so he can marry another, but GB refuses to sign the papers.
LizK thanks much for the new gathering place..
learning a lot of new stuffs the past 2 days..
not on dial up any more...yea!
took us akmost all night to figure out Linksys...
now Brie has her own wireless connection...
then find out about the 2 day stoppage...
withdrawals at work...could not lurk until I got home and saw the email!
The statements by Green Bay are why I do not understand why the bet is so limited to Favre playing for Green Bay...GB could trade him or release him, though I do not think they would release him so that he could play for a division rival. The NFL is a business and GB isn't going to help a team they have to play twice.
oops..
Thanks to SteveM and ST!
haha, when I showed the posts re my bets to hubby, he said that Favre will NOT rejoin the Packers and, therefore, I "will be off the hook."
Free play link time. Please ignore my upcoming posts if you do not want the off-topic stuff.
The measles, whooping cough, and polio have returned due to parents who refuse to have their kids vaccinated. Even as those diseases become more common in the US, the vaccination rate continues to decrease.
Amazing to read about how we spend more per person for health care in the US than ANY other country and the life expectancy in the US is below that of almost every other developed nation (thank you to an LOTD reader for the link!).
It is interesting to see how people’s buying habits have changed and the economic effects are widespread due to the scare over tomatoes. Even though tomatoes are said to be safe again and jalapeno and serrano peppers are under scrutiny, people are still worried about what they purchase and are turning to farmer’s markets.
Interesting to read about what states have the highest rates of e-mail spam. This gives a good indication of what states have people not using security software and what state’s people clink on links or go to dangerous websites. Amazingly, California and New York at *not* in the top 10! Illinois has the highest rate of spam and the #2 state is South Dakota! South Dakota is #2 and North Dakota is not in the top 10! California is at #32 and Hawaii is at #35.
It is absolutely shameful to read about the horrible electric work that Halliburton did (at enormous profit) for our troops in Iraq. 283 electric fires in just 6 months, soldiers electrocuted due to shoddy electric work…our troops were put at risk when they did basic things such as take a shower on a military base.
DARPA has a $3 billion program to use biology and technology to meld man and machine to transcend the limits of the human body to create superhero-like soldiers.
Millions of Americans are breaking the law by using wireless microphones without a permit. When the frequency changeover happens next year, those wireless microphones will threaten emergency communications and interfere with commercial wireless systems that use the 700 MHz band. This could affect karaoke places that use wireless microphones.
Bic makes disposable pens and razors…and now disposable cell phones!
Free play links pau. I'm sorry for the long list, but that was 3 days worth of links and I won't be posting them over the weekend...
I haven't seen Pauoa Boy on this site yet. He took his family to Legoland today and will be going back tomorrow, so I'll ask him if he has visiting this site when I see him there.
100!
I feel that Green Bay with Favre at the helm really has a good chance of winning the Super Bowl. They will learn from their mistakes. EMOTION AND DESIRE will propel them to victory!
I don't get the same vibe from the Vikings.
garret is posting his links- all is indeed right in the world.
WooHoo!
Liz,
I figured I should post the free play links to make things as WB-like as possible. I did a search through the standard 20 newspaper sites on the mainland that put their next day's issue up already (I check them at midnight Pacific Time) and sadly there was no Warrior-related news to post.
I hope that I find some football-related stuff to post tomorrow. I'll be at Legoland with Pauoa Boy's family and my family, so I'll try to post football stuff before and afterwards.
P.S. I tried to delete my last post because it had my first name AND last name, but I don't think it will let me delete my post. Can you delete the post?
Liz, because of your CC pizza lunch the other day, hubby and I had a large pan pizza supreme for dinner tonight. Was great!
Thanks, garret! Please give PB and his family our best and have fun at LegoLand!
New post is up.
Post a Comment
You can use some HTML tags in your comments.