Auntie MariaLani brings you da news:
Aloha Kakahiaka!
Hoo, wee! We get hurricane next doah but de beeg news is da tornadoes in our back yards..
Planny wind all ovah- and tunda and lightnings too!
Jest like da Warriors, no?
Da birdies are flying and whispering da news on dis last day before da Warrior Beat going open again. Coach Mack says Inoke Funaki- dat cute, happy feet, no-quit-give-hope braddah going start for our first home game with Weber State dis Saturday!
He going get one week for get ready for Weber State. Funaki is one fourth-year junior who led Kahuku High School to a State title-- and no wonda he get da spirit- he wen do his church mission before college. Good boy!
Not only dat- how about Adam Leonard!
Dat braddah wen sack Tebow in da Swamp.
He not only talk- he get da job done on da field- no wondah he stay one team captain, eh?
Das why- when he go tell his teammates aftah da game: "this (Florida) game does not define us," you know he get the beeg pic-cha.
I hope he had get through to da odda braddahs- One Snap and Clear, Brahs!
We got to look FORWARD, not keep looking behind.
No forget our GOALS, eh?
100% GRADUATE
WIN DA WAC
PLAY ONE BOWL GAME!
Ok, Warrior Fans, now we gotta get pumped up for da First Tsai-ko Gate of da Season and CHEERING for OUR WARRIORS on Saturday!
251 comments:
1 – 200 of 251 Newer› Newest»No kidding, Auntie!
One snap and clear! Took me longer to get to "clear." I had to watch last year's Nevada game with TG at the controls yesterday. And for bonus round I watched the 2nd half of the Utah St. game when TG came in for CB.
TChahng is all good now...
Go Inoke!
Go Adam!
Go Warriors!
See y'all at Richardson. :)
LizK are you coming for the weber game? I know you have season tickets with SteveM and Peaches but can your body recover by Saturday...
why is labor day a holiday, if we honor those who work, shouldn't they be at work?
Hi fellas, I plan to be there Sat. for Weber State. TChahng- are you going to be in town for the game?
Ho, da good news dat Auntie Marialani wen geev us! An' I no can wait fo' da Warriah Beat stay safe again.
Inoke! Inoke! Inoke! I'm sure he'll have a great game. Sounds like the receivers need more work, but they'll get there. Wish I were going to be there for the game.
Bulla,
Are you going to be in Flagstaff for the Weber St. game with NAU? I heard that NAU had a pretty good game against ASU this weekend; they didn't win, but played well. Let me know if you're coming to town. I can put you in touch with Tom Uno, the new co-advisah for the Hawaiian club here.
Morning, Gang.
LizK, stay safe, drive around those tornados, please.
I can see the Mother Ship "Warrior Beat" in the distance. I hear that Captain ST is on board, docking the ship on Tuesday.
RE: Inoki Funaki.
Many players are excellent in practice, but lacking game experience will wilt when the lights come on. Inoki is a Saturday player, with tons of maturity and good will from the players. Those things can't be found on an evaluation sheet, that's why these qualities are called intangibles. Rausch has lots of talent, but needs plenty more game learning, Alex is slow in delivering and that has nothing to do with interceptions and might not change much. Down the road I still believe that Rausch might be the one.
On the other hand, at this point in time for our program, Inoki is the perfect guy to stabilize our offense. He is a fighter and doesn't doesn't get rattled easily, knows the system and gives us the best chance to win right now. From there it will be his job to lose.
I wish him the very best, right now, we definately need him in there.
Aloha kakahiaka, Florida Ted!
Did you get the AZ Cardinals visor from the A-House family? Hope it's not too strange for you in FL to have an AZ cap.
Great Morning All!
A few things to do early today then off to the Na Koa Luncheon. Hope to see many Tsaikos there.
Then it's time to start packing up the few belongings I brought aboard the lifeboat; clean up little bit then await the arrival of the mother ship.
Looking forward to seeing Liz and TChahng at the TsaikoGate!
IS IT SATURDAY YET?
Ralph,
I'm blogging from work! :-)
pride.,
Let me join the chorus of those who say that your insights and commentary are most welcome.
duffer,
I hear you!
(Although I'm only going in for a quick esme...hopefully)
Aloha, Mei Ling.
Sorry, you've must have missed my post from the CC in Orlando. I did get the visor and it's hanging in my office. Thank you so much. The A-House family is sure special, they have a force field of Love and Aloha around them that is irrisistable, a truly amazing family.
The visor is special to me, since you personally collected all the signatures, again, thank you so much, it means a lot. Aloha, Ted.
Hi guys!
OK.I gotta get up and ready.
We had a 4am tornado warning- see my personal blog for that stuff.
As it is, it appears the worst is over. My sis is doing Labor Day BBQ with the family- including her bro-in-law and his new wife who were married Sat. while we were in Gainesville.
Hopefully, the Pensacola airport will be open and my flights will get me to LAS to meet up with the A-House family for the ride back to Hawaii!
Hi, Lizk,
Give my love and Aloha to the A-House family. What a special unit they are.
oops- my flt. is cancelled.
The fun begins again.
LizK . . .
Good luck finding another flight out!!! If nothing you can enjoy the BBQ.
Yum!
NFL news -
Buffalo - Signed wide receiver C.J. Hawthorne and tight end Jonathan Stupar to the practice squad.
Cincinnati - Claimed offensive lineman Scott Young off waivers from the Philadelphia Eagles; waived offensive lineman Nathan Bennett; signed wide receivers Lance Leggett and Steve Sanders, linebacker Titus Brown, running back Omar Cuff, safety Travis Key, defensive lineman Melila Purcell and offensive lineman Christian Gaddis to the practice squad.
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/transactions
Calling US Air... I think he found me some flights...
On hold. Hmmm... wonder if las vegas wants to have dindin again... ;-)
brew- GREAT NEWS!!!
Liz - You might have to move to the "real big island".... Hope the "winds" clear and allow you to return home!
Okay, after a few days of sulking in my dark corner.... here's my quick assessment:
OUCH! versus 'gators...
Regroup, recoup, united
Warriors.... Fresh Start!
_GGGGG_____OOOO_______UU___UU___HH___HH_!!!
GGG_______OO__OO______UU___UU___HH___HH__!!
GG__GGG__OO____OO_____UU___UU___HHHHHHH__!!
GGG__GG___OO__OO______UU___UU___HH___HH__!!
_GGGGG_____OOOO________UUUUU____HH___HH_!!!
Mahalo to a UH-fan-in-808 :-D
Liz -
Just like in the movie... click your ruby red sneakers and say to yourself...
"There's no place like Kauai....
There's no place like Kauai....
There's no place like Kauai.... :-D
~~~•~~~ Good Morning Tsaikos and Warrior Nation!!! ~~~•~~~
Everyone have a terrific Labor Day! Hope you get to spend it relaxing and having fun with your friends, family, & loved ones! You too duffer! :-D
Aloha Tsaiko Ohana!
I had planned on going to the Na Koa Luncheon today, but actually have a very important meeting to attend this morning at 10:00 AM that will conclude at about noon time.
For lunch, I plan on grinding Beef Curry, cause I stay worry 'bout Aunty Marialani's safe and timely return.
Note to Duffer: SEND LIZ DA LEAR JET!
Take care LizK and get back home safely.
I wish I could be there with you Tsai-kos for da tailgate and game. But, I will be there in "spirit"...and will make plate lunch to feel better. Around here all we get is BigTen all da time.
No worries, got lotsa games left. Keep focus, play hard and GO WARRIORS!!!
Gonna watch Fresno State vs Rutgers this afternoon and see if FatCity is as good as they say.
Hoo boy lunch time already.
A hui hou...
happy anniversary, addahknows. Enjoy your day together!
heeheeheehee =)
mei ling
i am not sure about the NAU game yet; but would like to get over there.
mahalo for thinking of me :)
ah ha- addahknows!
Happy Anniversary :!:
Wow KauaiLurker!
Thanks for the wish! I bet I know who you are. Hehehe.
Hi LizK-
We are wishing you a safe journey home. Looking forward to seeing you this weekend (at t-gate?)
Thank you!
Good morning fellow lifeboaters. One more day at sea until we disembark tomorrow on to the homeland known as the WarriorBeat.
Question - anyone know when's the Homecoming game? Is it the Nevada game (10/25)? Isn't usually close to Halloween?
Happy anniversary addahknows!
Have a safe trip, LizK and all other Hawaii fans returning from da Swamp.
Have a great holiday!
Liz: Hope you get home safe!
addahknows: Happy anniversary!
brew808: Thanks for the update on C.J. and Melila. I'm really happy for C.J., cause he was the real long-shot to make an NFL team. To make the practice squad after joining the team so late in camp is pretty impressive to me.
jm2375: 09/06 (Weber State) is Student Night. 09/27 (San Jose State) is Family Night. 10/11 (Louisiana Tech) is Homecoming. 10/25 (Nevada) is Season-Ticket Holder Appreciation Night. 11/22 (Idaho) is Military Night. 11/29 (Washington State) is Think Green Night. And 12/06 (Cincinnati) is Senior Night.
Armchair Coach: There is such a thing as disciplined scrambling vs. undisciplined, and I'd say Inoke was leaning toward the latter. I forget who it was, but someone mentioned the fact that UH coaches blow the play dead when defenders are in the offensive backfield during practice, so that could certainly affect Inoke's discipline when that occurs in-game. So I do hope they change things around and not go as quick on the whistle as before. His scrambling is certainly a great asset for him, and I was very impressed with the way he was always looking downfield to find a receiver. But he has to protect the ball better (I never thought I'd say this, but he protects the ball worse than Colt, and Colt held his ball very loose when scrambling), and he needs to work with his line and his receivers so that his scrambling doesn't put any of them in a bad position.
And yes, I do know that some players are gamers. I'm not an idiot, just because I didn't play the game doesn't mean I know that fact. That's why I said he should get the start this Saturday. I would have him as my #3 based on what he does in practice, but let's see what he does in-game.
As for the game plan on Saturday, well they ran the offense that they installed for Florida. I'd like to see what they install for Weber State. I don't think they'll change the play calling, but I'm curious to see if they will.
And no, I would not have changed Colt's arm release angle, but there are things with footwork and wind-up that can always be more efficient. Colt is a natural passer and I would only work on him with footwork; while Tebow is a very good passer in his own right, the fact is that he's been in this system for his third year now, and it's not a passing system. He's going to have to show scouts that he can throw the ball like a pro QB, and that means fixing some of his mechanical flaws. I don't think it'll drop his stock like Colt's if he doesn't fix them — Tebow is too great of an athlete to fall (unless nobody thinks he can play QB in the NFL, which I disagree with) — but it could hurt his successes at the next level if he doesn't fix those flaws now, and if he doesn't have a coach to help him develop (like Colt has with Zorn).
* * *
I gotta run and get ready for the Nā Koa lunch. Cool, it's my first ever. :-)
Howzit Gang, dropping by to give my ka-knowledge and couple cents out dah pocket aftah watching the Florida game. Thank you Coach Mack for finally seeing what I've seen all along in that Inoke Funaki is the man. Rausch and Alexander was pissing me off, especially Alexander...too slow on reads, and everything else, played like chit! Oline actually looked good, was happy with them for the most part, they will only get better but very good. Wide receivers need planny work...route running, getting jammed on the line, seperation wasn't there at all oh and dropped passes...frikkin better start using dat dayum JUGS machine! No wonder they had so many sacks and QB had to improvise cause nobody stay open dayumit! WR's need planny work... Defense did okay except the Dline needed more pressure on Tebow. Secondary need to communicate better, saw them out of position too many times and getting beat. Special teams, OMFG is killing us again! The only thing I liked is Jovonte Taylor is pretty good returning except for one mess up but overall he's pretty dayum good. Overall although we got slammed I saw a lot of good things to build on. My biggest concern with the Offense is the WR's route running and HANDS! On Defense, the DLine was getting man-handled need to contain better. Special teams must've been reading the WTF playbook cause they are terrible...again! Anyway, INOKE FUNAKI is #1 baby!!!
Good morning all..
Happy Anniversary to the ajoe and asports and many more to come!
LizK safe journey..
Hi Jason!
No Na Koa luncheon for me today...Shucks..I have another luncheon today with hubby family re-union stuff...should be interesting..Brie will be meeting tons of new relatives...
Go Warriors!
Almost forgot, love LWJ and Libre in the running game. If we can move the ball on the ground against Florida, we can move it against anybody! Think we should utilize our running game a little more until the receivers and QB get acclimated with each other. Inoke I'm sure will have better rapport with the receivers cause they are the ones who he's been working with over the years. Also, I think LWJ can have a huge year against our WAC competition. GO WARRIORS!!! Oh apologies in advance to the Beast but we're going to kick Weber St. ass!
Hi Pauoaboy...
long time no see!
How's the family?
Howzit Jam, yeah took a break from blogging and was getting over the Florida loss. Family is doing good, glad I have 4 days off for Labor Day weekend though. Just trying to relax and get ready for Weber St. game...
Quarterbacks:
Glad to see Inoke Funaki starting next game. Nothing against Rausch, but he still needs to develop and has 3 yrs to play. Like Coach Mack was saying Inoke may not have the measurables as Rausch or Alexander but you can't teach heart and having the desire to win. He does have the "IT" factor and should start the whole year until the two JC's get there chit together. Rausch should backup Inoke and Alexander to me is a huge let down! Although I've given Graunke a hard time, wouldn't mind seeing him on the sidelines in a backup role. Sorry IMHO I'm still not feeling Rausch right now. To me he needs to learn the playbook first before getting thrown in the fire. Coming from 8 man football and then stepping into Div.1 is more than a huge jump. He's my number 2 behind Funaki. Alexander almost gave me a heart attack! 3rd string at best! Again folks it's not about arm strength, height, blah, blah, blah... it's about playing with heart and having the right attitude, something Inoke Funaki definitely has! And yes he can will this team to victories with his sheer presence alone!
tchahng please email me. Lizkauai at gmail dot com
Mahalo!
Pauoa Boy,
no worries, somebody gotta win, somebody gotta lose, either way, the beast gets to play on his homefield with his other team mates from hawaii :)
Myki. You probably won't get to read this before the luncheon, because you're probably already on your way. If you do get to see it though, can you do me favor and ask the coach why the tackles hold the guards hand prior to the snap. I'm just a fan who really has only a limited knowledge of the game and can't see any advantage for the line to be holding hands. Is it for solidarity, or something like a dare to the defense to try and break through the locked hands? Or is it like the game "red rover, red rover, send the beast right over". Please have the coach explain to us so that we fans can have more knowledge of the game.
Maybe they already covered it at Heather McMackin's clinic, but I wasn't invited because I'm I man.
A real man.(Deep, Bass, Voice)
I think I'm a man.
Last I checked I was.
Anyway can you ask the question if you get a chance. Greatly appreciated. Mahalo.
I agree with Pauoa Boy and earlier bloggers, when Inoke got into the game the team seem to respond to his presence. They seeed to work harder to sustain blocks and when he was flushed from the pocket, he was constantly looking for the open man to throw to, instead tucking the ball and running. he comfortable in the offense. The two JC guys looked uncomfortable and just didn't seem to trust the receiver would be there for the completion, they just need more work. If Inoke floats passes in practice he sure did not float any of his passes during the game... He did look like he belongs in there
LOL with Pride!
Bruddah you all man!
seemed (seeed) sorry!
Rob25-
I agree 100 percent.
Pride-
You've been on a roll lately and your comments are very much appreciated and so is the humor. Way cool!
pride,
if you're not a man, where does that put the rest of us? gotta know before i see my doctor.
pride,
that brings to mind the song
what a man, what a man, what a man,
what a man, what a man, what a good, good man
i am sure you have heard those whispers many a time in your prolific life, but that song did pop into play,
whew........ U DA MAN
By the way,
Tsaiko culture was alive and licking at Genji's on Saturday. There were awkward moments when, strangers would walk into the room and just as we were about to tell them that we were having a private party, they would intruduce themselves with their blog name. Hi, I'm Lopaka43, or Hi I'm RabidFanMan, and we would all go ooooohhhh you're him.
Then there was one group, that we were just going to let them go because they looked settled in and we had the room. If it got more crowded then we would have had tell them that it was a private party. Then when Rob25 arrives we find out that they are her 'ohana. Again, "Tsaiko Culture" at it's finest.
Bulla, you all man too. And you make a mean cocktail as well.
Tsaiko men always know how to make a girl smile!
Florida Ted, thanks for the update. I didn't see the earlier post from the Orlando CC. It was fun getting the autographs & watching the practices. I could see that Kurt Warner was more ready than Matt L. in practice.
Liz, Hope you can get a flt. back to LV that works with your connections.
Bulla, jus email me if you are going to the NAU game.
Aloha to erryone on this Labor Day. I'm laboring to get my house in shape... Looks like I'll be home for the 1st game in Oct.
Addahknowsports, go and celebrate the big day with your husband. Get off the blog.
By the way, Happy Anniversary to you and A-joe.
HAPPY ANNIVERSARY, A-SPORTS & A-JOE!!!
Ashley Lelie signed a one-year deal with Oakland.
Hope they give him a chance to catch a couple of passes!
hey lizk....just one thing and i'll shut up.
one snap and clear was yesteryear's mantra.
Pride...the funny part is they lurk on the blog, but they said that it's our blog and they are just visitors.
I think that they had a nice time. They left to go work the Okinawan Festival so I haven't had a chance to get any feedback from them. Maybe they'll come out more to other events.
1 mojito, 1 mojito, 3 mojito...what's a mojito?
actually, i think that drink had it's origins with Ernest Hemingway if i remember correctly. i will have to defer to our F&B expert, uncle Al, for that information.
Happy Anniversary to the addahknows....enjoy, life is too short and what.....das right...
make memories...... :)
Happy Anniversary Addahknows!
You two fine people deserve all the best that life can throw your way. Hugs and kisses to you both.
Have a great day and better evening!
the raiders could be a great fit for lelie. i hope he realizes that this could be his final fling. what better way than to be in the maverick nfl franchise across the bay from those who just dropped him off the bus or would that be the BART?
don't you think that the skins could use someone like rgm? at least he can catch.
rivers? i can't believe he is not getting any further looks, not even the nfl or afl? saw him on kalakaua ave the other day with a surfboard under his arms.
great for cj at buffalo.
yea! I made it to the first step. Going to Atlanta and then las vegas on Delta. Now gotta pray there is space avail. For standby to HNL on HA. Mebbe someone will win big and have to stay longer!
mojito????
i thought it was an american indian tribe?
last of the mojitos?
no.
okay, sorry my red brothers.
(and grandpa...many said he was part choctaw)
back in the day, no bars served mojito's. until recently it has been ressurected by the bacardi rum marketing geniuses. mojitos some say originate from cuba back in the 16th century in honor of sir francis drake. hmmmmm. perhaps they "spiked" his cocktail when he unsuccessfully invaded puerto rico, he did die shortly thereafter from dysentery.
only bulla would ask.
al- think of a new saying that means "learn from the past and move on".
Pride. Mahalo for the Genji report!
Anyone know when the A-Houses get to Vegas? I get in at 10pm.
lizk.....good luck.
HA to HNL has but 10 or less seats on HA17
and 9 or less seats on tuesday HA7
there's about 30 listed employees and/or ftp's on both flts.
i thought it was labor day, a day to take advantage of the holiday for the working members of this society.
i was told, "no way" actually it was more like, "NO WAY!!!"
see you its honey do list time.
thanks al, gulp.
Well, at least I got my refund from Greyhound.
Will keep positive!
Kynan Forney is now a Charger. Close enough for some of us to go and watch him play.
Congrats to Wayne Hunter for making the Jet's squad.
al,
such a wealth of knowledge, mahalo again for your clarity. when i get to be your age, i hope for the same wisdom also :)
Great news about the ex-Warriors. I'm disappointed that only two of the Fab Four receivers are in the NFL right now, but hopefully J Riv and RGM will another shot somewhere.
I'm hoping that Coach Mack was oversimplifying his QB selection thought process for Florida. Arm strength and height are plusses, of course, but those shouldn't have been anywhere near the top reasons to pick Alexander or Rausch over Funaki _if_ they were otherwise in a close race. Florida would've been a very tough game to win anyway, and I like our JUCO QBs (hey, Colt was one) but I can't help but wonder if a "dual threat"-type QB like Funaki with much more time in the run-n-shoot and DI-A football might've had more success.
thanks bulla.
someday when you get to be a little more mature i hope someone too will continue to encourage you during those.....years.
whew, the boss has left the building. back to the fresno st/rutgers game. looks like fresno st. is going pull off another upset today.
good to see lelie, forney, hunter, cj, purcell, et al getting picked up.
i am hoping that peters will be retained another year on the practice squad. when did they change it from taxi squad???
so bulla.....will you be sitting in your usual seats or on the visiting team's side?
i wonder if jimmy h. will be on the warrior sideline or on the wildcat sideline?
hahaha. as a young whipper snapper usually quips...this is going to an "epic" battle.
Happy Anniversary to the Addahknows!
Ok, it is just too hard for me to cheer for Fresno St. I tried, I really did. I know I should cheer for all WAC teams in OOC games, but I just can't...
i look for the warriors to come out with a sense of purpose. not a sense of urgency, but, rather a purpose.
look for crisp and all out efforts in this week's practice.
look for weber st to come in with the david and goliath attitude. i am sure that our local boys on the wildcat roster will keep their brethren in high spirit.
i hope the stadium is filled! close to 30k in season tickets plus students, and other fans need to all show up.
too funny ronnie baby.
i hear you on that one.
happy anniversary addahknows!
make memories!
or make babies!
Hi Pride,
I did't have to ask the question 'cuz Coach Mack made the comment that he really did not like it when they held hands but it was used specifically with the silent count. Tackles can't see the ball; hands drop just before ball put in play. Seems that defense over time could recognize that tendency and jump the count. myki & sjmacro
Happy Anniversary A-joe and A-sports!!!
myki,
Thank you for posting the information about how the OT/OG would stop holding hands just before the snap. I agree that teams would be able to take advantage of that in the future, so I think they will have to come up with another way to handle the silent counts.
Congratulations to all of the Warriors that were signed by teams today!
David Veikune got a nice mention in this article about DEs who the NFL would be interested in after this season.
JUCO transfer David Veikune made a major splash in his first season for the U. of Hawaii and could well become a major force as a senior.
By the way, I updated my blog with the quotes if anyone wants to avoid giving either local paper a hit.
The Sacramento Bee made an NFL prediction that I would be happy to see come true.
For fantasy players, this year's Ryan Grant will be former Hawaii quarterback Colt Brennan, the Redskins' starter by midseason.
This Seattle Post-Intelligencer writer is a HUGE fan of Colt's too.
Colt Brennan is a Redskin. This causes me great pain. For quite a while, I have not rooted for my hometown Washington Redskins, because of long-standing ownership issues. Even when Joe Gibbs returned, I did not root for the Redskins, because of long-standing ownership issues. And now, with my main man Colt Brennan on the roster, I still cannot root for the Redskins, because of long-standing ownership issues.
But I'm going to do a one-time favor for my erstwhile favorite franchise:
Play Colt Brennan.
As many of you know, I've touted this kid since he was knee-high to a sea turtle. I told America he was Heisman-worthy. Then he had one bad game, in the Sugar Bowl, and everyone was ready to consign both of us to a cruise-ship karaoke bar.
Jason Campbell? Nice guy, good player. Colt Brennan? A once-in-a-lifetime island volcano waiting to erupt. So take the clipboard out of his hand and rest your hopes on his golden arm.
howzit and good afternoon tsaiko country. how you'all doing today?
just back from na koa luncheon and had good time with d1 mrs d1, myki, sjmarcro, jason, stretch, stretch mom, bro, sleeze and wud. saw stsai, jveneri and rkekaula also. coach mac talked about da game and was proud the team battled to the end. one highlight was d1 winning an throw back UH half cut fball jersey (from the lprice era)
kden back to lurking
Bess is now practicing with the FIRST-TEAM offense in Miami. Given that the regular season is about to start and every minute of practice time is critical, having Bess practice with the first team is an awesome sign!
koakane,
Thank you for that report! Congratulations to d1shima for winning that throwback jersey!
Howzit all
Dinner tonite with the A-Houses (A-Homes?)
al,
there will be a 'speck' of purple in the North End Zone section R in the orange. that speck will represent about40+ beast supporters, 40+ Nakamura supporters, and 50+ Higgins supporters. in the sea of green and black, the purple ogo will surface....haha
whooo, don't wanna see d1 wear that half cut jersey.
myki, you post fast. Yeah, it has to do with the silent count. I actually thought that despite the possibility of the opponent taking advantage of that "tell," the offensive line did a good job handling the defensive line. Coach Mack showed us several plays where the offensive line blocked very well. But when you hold onto the ball so long, and the receivers can't find holes or create separation cause the defenders are so fast, protection breaks down eventually and sacks occur.
The Nā Koa luncheon was very nice. I was the first one there, followed by d1shima and Juliet. Also in attendance were sj-macro and myki, koakane, Stretch and his mom, Sleeze, WassupDoc, and a lurker and his wife (I'm sorry, I forgot your names). I also ran into Big Wave Dave and his little boy afterwards. Stephen and Robert Kekaula were also there; Mack joked around, saying that they needed to muzzle Stephen. :-D
Well, this was my first Nā Koa luncheon, and I had a good time. The meal was good — tossed salad, macaroni salad, lomi lomi tomato, tako poke, chicken long rice, kālua pig, lau lau, chocolate cake, and strawberry white cake. Mack broke down the film on some of the better plays — he didn't show any of the bad plays, which was what I wanted to see. Still, it was nice to watch.
I gotta be totally fair to Inoke, cause I know I've been harsh on him. In practice, he hasn't shown much of an arm. But upon watching the game film again, he showed some impressive throws. Watching live, I didn't realize that those were 30-35 yard throws, and while they weren't thrown on ropes, they were thrown with good timing and accuracy. I left the film session feeling more confident in his abilities. I still like the potential that Alexander and Rausch have, and considering I'm not a big fan of rotating or trying different QBs, I'd personally stick with Rausch if I were the coach. But we're going with Inoke this Saturday, and I'm warming up a lot more to it.
Fresno wins, should move up in the polls..Clemson, Virginia tech, Illinois and Pittsburgh loss
Fresno State - Rutgers first half was typical. Both defenses strong, offenses misfiring. Second half Fresno came to life on offense. Ryan Mathews, RB for Fresno, 26 rushes, 163 yards, 3TDs. Gotta watch out for him. But it's just the first game and they play Wisconsin next week at home.
Jason,
why would you stick with Rausch? the kid has arm problems. He should be in rehab and not play until his arm can handle the reps.
Almost ready to leave Atlanta on Delta for Las Vegas. pls pray I can get a seat on the 2:30am. :-)
I just had kaukau at Paschals in the food court. Fried chicken, collards, fried okra and corn bread. Mmmm.
Well, if he's not healthy, then I wouldn't stick with him. But when he's 100%, I'd go with him. I really like his potential, and I think he can grow into this offense.
Jason, thanks for the Na Koa report!
Ok. We are boarding.
good luck Liz,
keep your fingers, toes, legs, and anything else crossed for good luck.
Gee Liz, if you don't make it tomorrow morning, can I still have that extra ticket to the Weber St. game? :-)
BTW,
What's the best route to get from the airport to the tailgate?
Three long and loud toots on the Anniversary horn for the addahknow ohana. You two good hearted souls are da best!
In your honor, I've arranged to have the most glorius Sunset on display for you. All you have to do is go to the nearest beach and gaze out to the West to view it.
Make sure you have an adult beverage in your hand a get your best kiss lined up to plant on your pahtna!
Sa-wacka! Happy days are here to stay!
eek, duffer. I just offered that ticket to TChahng. Ayah. On delta now. Sitting with legs, toes, eyes crossed.
Forgot to wish the addahknows a HAPPY ANNIVERSARY.
Duffer ~ I'll send you an email because I don't want to give T-gate directions on the blog. We tryin' to make secret kine stuff because of da parking we get. Shhhh!
Liz,
Not a problem!
Kekoa,
Mahalo!
Gee Liz, You blogging in the air?
duffer your chaffeur will pick you up saturday or friday?
no worry about directions.
one time warrior qb recruit kevin craft throws an interception on his first series against sec's tennessee.
life is fair.
Howzit!
Nice time at Na Koa luncheon.
Mack is very grateful of the support the fans show and says that the players feel the same way.
Said that all he told the team at halftime was no to quit; they're playing for the whole state. He was proud of how they played right thru the end of the game.
Also dais that he was very proud of all the players and coaches who did not have a single gripe about the travel hassles.
Said he was glad they opened with a quality opponent although he definitely doesn't want to travel like that again. Felt that playing UNCO last year did nothing for them and mentioned how that showed up in the first half of the LaTech game; took them until the 2nd half to figure out how to be a good run-stop defense.
(Wow! big punt block by UCLA for 1st score of the game. Frank Ganz, Jr. on staff pays off)
Thinks that the two JC QB's need to learn more at this time.
Duffer ~
RE: Tickets...how many, 2? and Mauka side or wat?
dais= said.
no can watch football and type at the same time. Sheesh!
craft throws another int.
las vegas,
Yeah and it's a mesh jersey at that. If you're nice to me, next time I'm in town I'll wear it "uncapped"!
heheheh
bulla,
Well, with all you folks in the North EZ next week I'm sure "fan behavior" won't be an issue!
Can't imagine who would want to mistreat the visiting fans for this game.
Maybe I gotta wear my brand new Linfield polo Saturday?
Congratulations, addahknow-, whose anniversary it is!
Gee, just noticed announcement of Funaki as starting QB made it as a "crawler" item on ESPN.
al,
I'm bringing the Boyd people with me, or rather they're picking me and the two boys up. We got parking at the stadium, but didn't want to lug my portugese sausage around (no, that didn't sound right). I don't want to carry the cooler from the stadium to the tailgate. We'll park at the tailgate and leave before 4:00 to the stadium.
Kekoa,
As long as it's next to a Tsai-ko, I don't really care. I still have to confirm with someone else first. No worries...yet!
d1, If Stretch can wear the UA shirts, you can wear that jersey!
Duffer ~ Your regular Limo driver just repored back from Worker's Comp. status I see.
He's good, works for small favors from 'dark side.'
repored=reported
aw'yrte duffer to be at game and is Al bringing you to the tgate?j
Pride ~ Keep the banter up. It's getting us *pumped!* for dem Wilde Beast!
re: OL holding hands
Until Mack explained it I thought it was a spacing thing. But I've seen other teams do it and as opposed to giving up yardage on false start penalties I don't think you give up much advantage as a "tell" on the count. I mean if the DE could hear the QB anyway he's as likely to get the same kind of jump IMHO...but what do I know?
duffer,
LMAO. You gotta see it first!
Look forward to seeing you on Saturday.
When d1shima dropped me off at home, I almost stole the jersey from his backseat, just to protect the masses from the possibility of him wearing it. ;-)
Tsai-kos,
I'm bringing some Boyd Corporation people. Some executive vice-presidents/presidents. I'm trying to get them to give the Tsai-kos a good deal for next year's game with UNLV.
They've never been to a Tsai-ko T-Gate yet.
about one snap and clear coach mac version is a 48 hour grieve then move on.
see taken his advise be forgot what he said alleady. someone help me and give da right wording.
You never have one Long Island Iced Tea, right koakane? ;-)
You pretty much got it. Mack said he gives his team 48 hours to "grieve" over a loss, then it's back to business.
Okay. You all heard duffer.
No wear any other casino logo wear on Saturday; only Boyd property stuff.
(Includes Orleans now, btw)
Jason,
Yeah, right! I'm sure you only had altruistic motives in mind while looking at that jersey. haha
Altruism is a wonderful virtue. :-D
d1,
north end zone, closer for a quick exit if the fans get restless, haha.
should be fun, can't wait for the tsaiko-gate. don't know if the PBS contest is still on, but i am going to bow out, too many activities going on, sorry.
jason,
altruisms are better than allieisms
What's the PBS contest?
One last thing from Coach Mack: there's no such thing as "holding"
al,
another pic by Craft.
Neuheisel is not a happy man.
mahalo jason actually had mucho mini ice tea's and wanted to make like pride but waiter guy neva undastand
duffer,
Bean soup.
d1,
Forgot about that.....
al,
pic 6 with :30 left in the half.
We coulda had HIM!?!?!
Seeing what super Craft is doing, I don't feel so bad about our JC QB's anymore. Nothing beats game experience, regardless of talent.
Halftime = naptime!
Just had a thought of LizK going to the counter at Paschals and asking for "kaukau"
heheheh
Hope she can get a flt home...
d1....one more pic 6 and we are even.
bo levi mitchell struggled too.
and marve is still struggling with personal issues.
lucky we get inoke "da kahuku hurricane" funaki.
and no forget we still have tyler in the wings. if he can get his act together and earn the respect and admiration of his peers and coaches..........hmmmm. he could make an impact afterall.
duffer....i'll give you directions and a map this week wed or thur. no worry the ohana going take care you.
so what time will the gate open for the field-Koakane said he plans on going early to start his hibachi, anyone else going before lunch...
LMAO @ Ronnie...
I was watching the Fresno St. vs. Rutgers game too, and although I was pulling for Fresno St. to win...I had to catch myself and have a WTF was I thinking moment. I think this year will be very good for the WAC and also very tough for any team to win the WAC Championship outright. We are still WAC Champions and until someone can knock us off we ain't giving it up! GO WARRIORS, dayum commentators need to stop calling us Rainbows...grrr!!!
Bulla,
I hope the Beast has a good game. Like all our homegrown boys I support them but he is going up against the home team so yups gotta go with the Warriors on this one. Anyway, I hope our Warriors don't take Weber St. as a shoe-in game, we all know what can happen. Already seeing upsets just like last years season...
So how did Neuheisel switch QB's at halftime?
Last note for tonight...
The new Under Armour Jerseys looked cherry. They are definitely better looking than the dayum Raider looking uniforms of last year. It's really appealing to the eye and very recognizable with Hawaii on the front. Must say the team is looking good. Forget about the results of the game, time to move on and kick some arse!
Pauoa Boy,
no worry beef curry; the beast is coming home to play at home against the home team. no problem, everyone cannot play for UH, but he is going to try his best. on the field, it is a battle fiel, off the field....time for chilling...it's all good. i cheer for our Warriors every game, but not this game.
i hope for both teams to play their best and be injury free and go on to have great seasons...what more can you ask for?
Ralph, koakane is going to be there from Friday night i think....as 'security' for the area....call Homey if he does.
ralph are you bring a hibachi to fire up?
I going be there to set u da place and help get it ready.
bulla no need security plus friday night have to secure anodda section of town. reports comming in dat illegal immigrants being used to work at certain water supply centers without proper paper work. gnalo has the lattest scoops so he going update me.
btw bulla where weber state team staying while here and when does the commando commence?
koakane,
funny, i heard about that report, something about slipping through the cracks. only a dedicated field agent like Nalo can get to the bottom of this, he has a nose for that kind of work.....i admire him for that.
you would have no fun in Utah, weak beer, weak drinks, and long weeks. we drove 40 miles looking for a bar, and found one 100 yds from our hotel, a sports bar with watered down beers, and liquor with no kick. i had a bloody mary that had as much kick as a warm V8. i asked for a shot of gold and they gave me two earrings, time stopped in 1868 over there....whoooo, good to be home, that's for sure.
let me know what time you are going to set up, i can help with that also......make memories...that is all i can say.
koa,
they get in thursday afternoon, and will be at turtle bay.....away from the enticements in town.
Bulla, You lucky Bugga, get to cheer, clap, and yell on every play of the game this Sat.
You will be having more fun than any other fan at Aloha Stadium.
Best to your Jr. and to a great all around game.
bulla how about this story. was in Ogden with my bball team playing in a toury. first day our night game ended at 6pm so after getting the boys back to the hotel went to da bar. the guys say what it be fellas so we order a round. next thing he says was last call we close at 8.
next day da coaches look all ova for a package store dat sells beer and we buy enough for da week. chill um in our cooler before game so have some beeru when we get back to da hotel. got to love dem mormon's yea.
opps k=koakane
haha,
know what you mean....they roll up the doors early over there...good/bad to that. steaks are cheap, real cheap....we just eat/sleep when we visit there, so relaxing.. sometimes, we just get in the car and head east and check out America.
maverick,
all good, gonna be a day to remember, roller coaster of emotions, but just real happy for all the hawaii boys who get to come home and play in front of family and friends. Tsaiko-gate will never be the same, haha.
mahalo again, GO WARRIORS / GO WILDCATS!
sheesh. I pass all da Ono kaukau by da Delta gates in terminal D. Take da shuttle and go to da HA terminal and smell all da good smells. Den find out gotta wait til 11:45 when da counter open 'cause no can go upstairs until I get one boarding pass! auwe.
delta flt. Was cool. Individual tv screens and coud watch Dish network for free.
Hey Liz! I guess you're in Vegas now. I like those individual screens, they had that on my United flight from LAX to O'Hare. While I could watch TV, I mainly tracked where we were, how fast we were going, stuff like that - I thought it was cool. :-)
Hi Liz -- if you are at the HA terminal (aka charter terminal), then all the kaukau places are upstairs. I see your fuud problem. Time to use your iPhone in telephone mode? Got 4 hours yet.
TO TWO OF THE BESTEST PEOPLE IN THE WORLD!
Joe and Sports...HAPPY ANNIVERSARY!!! When both of you are around, no room is too big to fill with your warm, loving spirit.
yep. Made a call but no answer. A House family around here somewheres too.
welcome back lizk with all da reports of the hurrican and a second monsoon coming off the eastern coast we were worried for you'all
have not heard from bhf2, ahouses, chawan or know if dey made it back yet. if you guys read this den check in allready
kden ahouses in so two moa to go
brrr. Had to put on my jacket. At least I found an outlet to charge da phone. Da signal stay real weak down here.
I web bus out my emergency beef jerky.
Liz,
You can use the kiosk to get a boarding pass.
Wow! This weekend is shaping up like we're picking up right where we left off. And we're starting earlier! Our Tsaikotic behavior grows and grows. If could, I know some Tsaikos would start t-gating on Friday nite!
I'm not worried about the team...they have the leadership, coaches, and spirit to make this a very good season. What I want to see happen this year are:
1) Learn the Ha'a so we can do it with the team.
2) The Tsaiko flash card section get ready for the UNLV game in 2009.
3) Set the date for next year's blog anniversay NOW. Give the off island people chance to plan to attend.
4) Start the Tsaiko cookbook as a fund raiser for FB program.
"If can, can. If no can, find a way"
Ronnie - I know you're not on now, but I thought we had this discussion Saturday. We cheer for the WAC OOC because we don't want the conference to continue losing respect. It was hard for me to cheer for Fresno in baseball too, but did it for the WAC. It would be even harder to cheer for BYU to be the BCS buster too.
Let me try.
Go BY....who wants to cheer for them anyways. Isn't there another potential BCS buster I can cheer for?
The two JC QB's have a lot of potential, but not quite ready for prime time. Far from being disappointed, I am looking forward to when they will start to "feel" how the offense is supposed to be run (like Colt did)and from there I believe they will have their day in the sun.
For now, IMHO, thinking starting QB should be between IF and TG, and during the course of the season if we're confortably ahead in any game, then give the two JC QB's game time experience.
Trust in the Coaches and the players.
GO WARRIORS!!!!!
Hi BG! Frank got to watch some of the game. I told him it got better towards the end. He didn't get to see the sign my mom waved.
Stay warm Liz! Thanks again for all your hard work during the game and the trip.
What a turn-a-round for Kevin Craft after a dismal first half.
mp-
IMHO, I don't want to see the offense run "like Colt did" and while I'm not trying to downplay what he did for UH in the years he was here, I want to see the offense run "like Inoke did" or "like Brent did" or like Greg did" get what I'm sayin' man? Colt is awesome, and I miss him tremendously, but to me, it's time for Hawaii to cherish the memories that Colt gave us, and make memories with Inoke, Greg, Brent, Jake and Shane... isn't that what the Tsaikos are all about? Making Memories?
I don't talk to Rob25 anymore. She didn't give me an autograph when I asked her for one. What a prima donna. ;-)
NEO: I thought we were about food. ;-)
Kevin Craft struggled even worse that Alexander or Rausch in his first half with UCLA...FOUR INTs, including one returned for a TD. However, he led them on 2 TD drives in the 4th quarter and UCLA actually won in OT. Amazing.
If UCLA's top 2 QBs hadn't been hurt I seriously doubt that Craft would have been left in the game that long--in fact, he probably would not have started.
One big difference between Craft and Alexander/Rausch is that it should be noted that Craft actually played in 9 games in D-IA (freshman year at San Diego State). He grayshirted and then redshirted at SDSU, so he had a LOT of D-IA practice time.
duff I neva believe what was being said about Craft and what he did in the first half. Caught only 2nd half and thought he was just supa, very accurate, making the right reads and putting da ball where only his receivers could get it.
saw some pics of nchow and the announcers had some good word about his abilities
Free play link time. Please ignore my next 5 posts if you do not want the off-topic stuff.
I *CANNOT* believe that Microsoft was just awarded a patent for “page up” and “page down” keys on a keyboard! I wonder who they are going to sue for royalties first?
This 11-year-old girl was taught VERY well by her dad…about assault rifles. The 6th grader sent this video to a boy she thought was cute...I wonder how he responded?
Pretty cool that this study found that cows usually point north.
National Guardsman asked a man for a beer in a parking lot before a Philadelphia Phillies baseball game. The man refused so the National Guardsman and a friend beat him up so badly that the man went into a coma. The National Guardsman was sentenced to being deployed to Iraq for a year…but he actually was going to be deployed ANYWAY and his deployment was actually delayed due to his trial! So, he in effect got no punishment even though he and his friend might have ruined the other man’s life.
Hackers have been attacking Iraq’s vulnerable computer system. Iraq’s entire cybercrime division has just one computer! How do they protect their government’s computer systems when they have just 1 laptop? This is a huge moneymaking area for terrorists already, but with Iraq increasingly sharing government information online they need to protect the information!
Free play links pau.
Note to Jason: Would you think that this type of thing would be useful to UH or just a big waste of money? 2/3 of Abilene Christian’s incoming freshmen will get free 3G iPhones…I feel bad for the other 1/3!
Jason-
Oh yeah, we about fuud too... But I neva been to one Tsaikogate, so I dunno what kine fuud you guyses get... Me, I more like one lurkah you know... But I tinkso I pretty profound eh...
Garret: I saw that link on your link collection site. I've heard of other schools doing that too. It's nice, but the cost would be huge for a larger school like UH.
Good Evening Tsaikos!!
Was nice to see the Tsaikos at the Na Koa lunch today. Sorry I wasn't able to join your table but had Mama Stretch, my brother, uncle and Sleez in my group. Good thing still had space on the table to include everyone.
Going to be another crappy week at work so not going to be able to enjoy being back on the regular blog. Behave yourselves and I'll check in when I can.
Stretch: You should've joined us anyways. Either we could have added another chair, or I could have moved to another table.
Jason - you guys looked too comfortable and had a good conversation going so didn't want to bother. We'll see, maybe next time
Hello NEO -- next month makes 2 years that you have posting and lurking. Tsaiko-Gate this Saturday--around noon (probably earlier). email Kazz at tsaikotailgate (at) gmail for details. Hope you can come down, see and eat the fuud, and meet everyone!
neo,
I get where you are coming from and somewhat agree. we need to celebrate each person's accomplishments.
I am sure the coaches are looking at fitting each of the qb's into the system to the best of their abilities.
I equate this to education ... we need to find a fit for each child because all children can learn but not all learn in the same way.
stretch das not what you bruddah said. think he mentioned something about being responsible. bwhaaaaaa
SteveM,
My parents (Dad posted as Momo awhile back before his computer crashed and had to be thrown out) will be at the Tsaiko-gate. Thank you to Kazz and BG for arranging thing and Kazz gave me the info that I already passed along to them.
We had a great time today at Disneyland, the first time we could go for 3 months due to the blackout dates on our passes.
I was wearing a green Warrior t-shirt and a nice couple from Hawaii Kai talked with us for quite some time while we waited in line. The shirt was a tipoff, so they asked if we were from Hawaii. The husband went to Kaiser and his wife went to La Pietra and they were really interesting to talk to. They live in Burbank now and miss Hawaii.
I wear my UH stuff without thinking about it since most of my good t-shirts are UH shirts. But I'm always amazed at how many people I run into that want to talk about the Warriors on the mainland!
Jack Flash asked about an antennae for the tailgate. BG and I checked it out the antennae I have and it can catch some of the stations. I will try to get it to someone attending the tailgate and you guys can use it. I have a wedding this Saturday so will not have time to stop by.
Happy anniversary Addaknowjoe & Addaknowsports. What a great couple. Wish you both da very best.
Garret -- thanks for letting us know about your dad. I do not recall having met him in person, but many of the others (BG, Liz, A-House, etc.) have met him in NOLA. We'll keep an eye out for him!
Post a Comment
You can use some HTML tags in your comments.