Sunday, August 31, 2008

Preseason Reflections

 
Tsai-kos on TV
Pride. sums it up:
Congratulations to the Warriors for making a fine showing in their football game against Florida. As some Tsai-kos have said, I agree that we made a better showing today than we did in the Sugar Bowl. We went head to head with Florida for a full fifteen minutes before the dam broke open. We can look at what we did for the first fifteen minutes of the game and build on that. We can look at the other forty-five minutes and see that we need to eliminate the big plays, and tighten up the special teams. 

The effort was good which is always important. A lot of what we saw today was simply great speed and athleticism on the part of the opponent. There were some things that happened in today's game that we will not see for the rest of the year. The interception that Inoke threw would be a completion in the WAC. That was a great play on the part of the Florida's DB, that we will not see later in the season. The punt returner will be doing that to NFL teams on Sundays in a few years. 

I'm not trying to make excuses. I'm just trying to point out that we will have a very good football team. The last two games that Hawaii played were against fast athletic football teams, the type that we will not see in awhile. The Hawaii players can now face any other team that they play knowing that they played against great teams with great players in Georgia and Florida. They can be confident that Boise, Fresno, Nevada, LaTech, Cincy, and Wazoo, will not intimidate them. 

The defense looked real good today. The offense did real well too. I like the way Ron Lee will keep defenses honest and keep them off-balance. Once the passing game comes around, we will be a force to reckon with offensively. The special teams will need lots of work, but I'm sure Ikaika Malloe is doing that right at this moment. 

The most important thing for the football program right now is to be a consistent winner in the WAC. We need to put together a string of WAC championships and make sure that we can beat the Boise States, Fresno States, Nevadas, and LaTechs on a consistent basis. That is where our focus should be. 

We shouldn't worry about BCS bowl games and top twenty rankings. Those things will come as a result of you succeeding at what you are supposed to be doing. If we can win the WAC on a consistent basis, we will be a top twenty or twenty-five team on a yearly basis.
August 30, 2008 11:47 PM


50 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Liz,

Thanks for of your insights on the big game.
Sounds like you all had a great time dispite the disappointing outcome.

I really appreciate Prides comments throughout and after the game was over. So much of what he said was what Coach Mack preached. We will get better through practice and execution on game days. I don't really understand the game very well but I felt encouraged by the effort and know that we can only get better.

Hope to see some of you tomorrow at the Na Koa luncheon.

Kekoa said...

Myki ~ Can you give us some details on the Luncheon? What time are you and SJ planning to be there.

Kifi said...

Congratulations to the Warriors for making a fine showing in their football game against FLORIDA.

Sorry about the misprint.

Anonymous said...

Hi Kekoa,

The Willows opens up around 11. People are usually already waiting.
we park in the parking lot on the left of the restaurant. It costs 3.00. Bring correct amt. You have to stick the money in those little slots. Lunch is 15.00 Parking is included if you valet park across the street in their parking lot. Problem is the wait to get out, plus with the tip it comes out to the same amt.

The food is pretty good. Seating is first come, first serve. Jerry and I usually go early around 10:40 and wait with the rest of the early birds.

Anonymous said...

Hello,

Was still rattling around on the last post.

Hiya LizK,

Thank you again for all your great work on the Life boat. Glad you came through your monster trip unscathed.

Met Alnbama at the Orlando CC. Great guy. Gave him a bunch of Wahine VB posters with Jamie Houston. She's from Huntsville, his hometown and a big star there, He'll give them to friends and family.

Lizkauai said...

Pride. I took the liberty of editing your post.

Hi Myki, Kekoa and Ted..I'm sorry to have missed you,Ted. Hope all is good in SC!

alnbama is still on the road. He ran into heavy rains and refugees heading north away from Gustav.

Anonymous said...

Pride,

I'm completely in agreement with your assessment. Lots of positives to look back on. The O-Line played very well and gave the QB's lots of time. Not their fault if they hang on to the ball too long.

The D was great, but grossly overworked.

The only pieces missing were 4 players for this game, Colt, Bess, Grice-Mullen and Rivers, Salas would have fit right in. Just those four added in and we could have taken them.

But I saw a ton of new talent that will come around in time. Once that happens, we will be a very dangerous team.

I think it was a mistake not to give Rausch the reps, once his arm was o.k. He may have played a lot better. We should stick with him for awhile and let him develop, just like we did with Colt and keep Funaki as relieve pitcher, if he folds.

The Weber State game is exactly what the Doctor ordered, a good, but managable opponent to work out the kinks in the armor.

Anonymous said...

wow so many links and dragged this one ova.

koakane said...

afternoon me mate's safely back on da dingy. yep dingy our boat got banged up on saturday now we have to repair and recoop. so take da time to do what eva you gotta do den show up on sat to represent, to support, to celebrate da 08 fball team and the season we talked about this past few months. so get your backside into it and haul buns.

pride, kazz and da oddah eloquent speakas has seys it allready the rest of us needs to keeping the home fires burning brightly so our boys know we still behind dem. students, alumni, 808 transplants, uh lovers come out dis saturday and raise some hell. no excuses

esme..................whoooooshhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh
August 31, 2008 3:38 PM

Kifi said...

Thanks Liz.

Kifi said...

Sometimes I wish that I could stop analyzing football games and just sit back and enjoy the show.

Hawaii's last eight games were against quarterbacks that will all on go to NFL camps.


Adam Tafralis cut by the Colts - Nevada
Chase Holbrook senior- NMSU
Colin Kaepernick sophmore- Nevada
Tom Brandstater senior- Fresno State
Taylor Tharpe cut by the Panthers
Jake Locker sophmore - Washington
Matt Stafford junior - Georgia
Tim Tebow junior - Florida


Not to mention the Washington Redskins #3 quarterback for the 2008 season.

That's a lot of talent that we as Hawaii fans have been able to enjoy watching up close. Remember those names. We'll be watching a few of them in post-season NFL playoffs in a few years.

Anonymous said...

Mahalo for the assessment, Pride.. I didn't have time to watch the game online yesterday, so it's great to get a synopsis of where we go from here based on yesterday's game. Looking forward to seeing the action in person in about a month. Yay!

Bulla, sorry I won't be home to see the Beast in the Weber State game. Met a couple of kids from SL. I'm sure they'll be looking for Ryan. Mike Yamanuha is here.

Anonymous said...

Ahoy all,

I think that if the boys could see what kind of people they have backing them here in this site... Well, I don't think it needs to be said what they'd think. I've been in places where if a team loses 56-10, people would be chanting "YOU SUCK!!!" in the streets... That's not happening here, and I think that we as fans have evolved enough over the past years to realize that there are more important things than just winning and losing a ball game... Fans during vonAppen years, and even during Wagner's waning years didn't realize that, I think we do now... So credit to ST and others for showing us that we CAN evolve into proud, humble, football loving fans. I just hope it all keeps up... Aloha
NEO

Lizkauai said...

Awright, NEO!

All I gotta say is,I MISS ST!!!

Hope all will be back to normal on the HA soon!
Psst...with that thought, I called ST- he just got back.
The WB should be back up on Tuesday. We'll know soon.

Anonymous said...

I gotta call and Funaki is named the starter for Weber State, according to McMackin. They want him to have a full week to prepare. I'm not unhappy at all.

I still think they should develop Rausch, but I have to go with the coaches. I hope they're not getting impatient with the need to win, it's a long season. In either case, Funaki deserves the start.

Anonymous said...

I am glad that Inoke is getting a chance to start! I'm sure that he will do well against Weber State and look forward to see what he can do with the first team.

Congratulations to Inoke! He's worked hard and in my opinion deserves this shot!

Kekoa said...

Mark me down for "Agreed."

Anonymous said...

Ok. Wondered why nothing was happenning. Was in the old entry by myself. Just wanted to thank everyone for their insights. Especially like Pride's comments, but find them all interesting.

Anonymous said...

Waipio special on now on KITV.

Stretch said...

Good Evening Tsaikos!!

I haven't read the blog the past few days so if I repeat someone's idea, sorry.

It was disppointing to watch the team get beaten by that score because it shouldn't have been that bad. The boys played tough and never gave up. The effort they showed against Florida will carry them through the season.

To me, the begining of the end was the first interception in the endzone. Hawaii was on the Florida 27, without that INT, Hawaii should have scored at least a FG and led the game. That would have been HUGE. Now, Florida takes that INT into the endzone for a TD. Next Hawaii offensive possesion, another INT returned for a TD. From there, everything snowballed.

It's bad to say "what if" but if Hawaii led 3-0, who knows....

Anonymous said...

By the way, my friend from Hawaii told me that it was ST who broke the story, but we are on strike, so no can look, lol. Sports Hawaii picked it up from there also and are in full discussion mode. The odda pepa, nada. I'm glad when we have ST back on the main ship, even though Liz is doing a fantastic job in keeping our Band of Brothers and Sisters together on our life boat.

Anonymous said...

Slow blogging today. What everybody still depressed? One snap and clear, on to Weber State, our get well game.

Anonymous said...

FYI, Funaki was just named the starting QB for Weber St.

This is good news because we need experience now and need to prep for the Oregon State game where Hawaii can redeem themselves.

Congratulations Inoke, you deserve this shot!

Anonymous said...

Agreed that Inoke does deserve the shot... my question is going to be the response from Rausch and Alexander... How do THEY respond to Inoke being named starter? I think Coach Rolovich will handle this right, and make sure that no matter who plays, the team will support regardless... That's my hope and that's my dream.

Anonymous said...

Inoke Funaki starting QB vs Weber State.

Way to go Inoke - REPRESENT!

Anonymous said...

Somebody is not reading beore posting,lol.

BG said...

Kekoa

Been out of the loop since Friday. Are you going to the luncheon? If so, call me. I think the team needs some support.

Go Warriors!!!

Anonymous said...

Good evening Tsai-kos!

Congrats to Inoke! Work hard and have a great game on Sat.

Just got back from the vb game. Congrats to da Wahine. They played 4 hard-fought games, even though they lost. We certainly got our money's worth. They look to have a great season and unfortunately, probably won't see the likes of PSU & UCLA till the postseason. Looks like it'll be another season of uno, dos, adios in the WAC.

Unknown said...

Congrats to Inoke for being named the starter for Saturday's game. As I said yesterday, it might be advantageous to give him the shot against a quote-unquote "weaker" opponent in Weber State. On the other hand, we can't take Ron McBride and his men for granted; he's a good coach, and he'll have his team ready.

I've said in the past that I don't think Inoke has adequate enough arm strength to run this offense to its fullest, but this is his chance to prove me wrong. I'm hoping to be eating crow on Saturday, cause I really like the guy and I want the best for him and the team.

He brings awesome mobility and a knowledge of the offense. I just hope he doesn't get happy feet and start moving around like crazy. That puts pressure on your receivers and offensive line to do things that they don't normally practice for, and in particular I'd be concerned for the big men who have to adjust to a roving QB with their backs turned to him. Even though Colt had a little bit of undisciplined creativity in him, it was only a little; Inoke was going a little off-the-wall on Saturday. He made plays, but just like Jim Zorn has said about Colt, QBs need to play with some discipline. I hope the coaches work with Inoke to tone it down to a more respectable level, and that he show off his full passing skills along with his ability to create.

I'm going to be interested to see how Ron Lee adjusts the offensive playcalling for Inoke, though. Are we going to start seeing more screens, slants, shovels, hooks, all those quicker and shorter routes? If Inoke can throw the deep stuff, then that's good, but he's been floating balls like crazy in practice and he (nor the other QBs) don't have the timing with the receivers yet to be able to loft balls into the right position like Colt was able to do. I also want to see more waggles and roll-outs, like with the traditional R&S. I was waiting to see more of that against Florida, but they didn't really do that.

Anonymous said...

Going over the Miami Dolphins news today, there isn't much related to the Warriors. Reagan was released yesterday, Bess is securely on the team, and Samson is entrenched at center. So, no news now on the Warriors on the Dolphins.

One crazy factoid: Samson is the ONLY member of Miami's OL that started at the same position last year!

tommui said...

PRIDE:

I wish that won't stop analyzing football games

tommui said...

Sorry Pride - that you won't ...

Anonymous said...

Tom,

I agree, Pride does an excellent job with his analysis and really works hard to look on the bright side of the situation.

Anonymous said...

I've got to get to bed...we're taking the girls to Disneyland tomorrow and want to get there before the park opens. I'll be on the road early and everyone else can still be sleepy.

Anonymous said...

good job Pride,

your insight always puts the right perspective on things, mahalo.

congrats to Inoke for being named the QB for the Weber game. we just hope that Weber can give the Warriors a game.

mahalo for all the kind words for the beast, he is excited to come home and play. you know we love the warriors, but for this game, i have to cheer for the beast and his team mates!

i just hope for a good game that is hard fought and injury free for both teams. there are a bunch of local kids coming home, Cameron Higgins, Zack Higgins, Mike Hoke, Cody Nakamura, Alex Tupuula and others. once in a lifetime experience.

GO WARRIORS
GO WILDCATS

Kekoa said...

Ok Bulla...let's not look for any pity from the Warriors. One of the reasons why Inoke would have 'happy feet' would be pressha from Da beast! Hehehe, we must calm him, what's his favorite kind of music to soothe da soul? Maybe we can get da UH band cranked up and ready to make da Opihi Moemoe.

Kekoa said...

Coach Mack Show ends on an emotional note, and a plea from Liz Chun for fan support.

Anonymous said...

Didn't get to catch the Mack Show, but if Liz Chun pleaded w/ me for anything I'd say "okay" :) Seriously though, does anyone else find it sad that Liz has to make a plea for fan support? I mean COME ON GUYS!!! UH is a better team than that... I applaud Liz for trying to drum up support but shame on the "fans" (not us guys) for needed to be begged to support the team... Anyone's thoughts?

Anonymous said...

Underway on our second-to-last night on the Tsai-ko "lifeboat": Warriorboat. Welcome back aboard!

Along the cruising lines... my mother tells me I should take a 15 day cruise from here to Auckland, New Zealand -- shows me the newspaper that lists a price of $589 aboard on of Celebrity's 5 star cruise ships that is a large as the Pride of Hawaii was..965 feet, 91,000 tons. Coming through Honolulu on October 17 and calling on Hilo, Papeete Tahiti, Moorea, and Bora Bora, French Polynesia enroute. ARGHHH... it's football season... no can!

Anonymous said...

Jason,

Don't be an armchair coach. You are saying that Inoke was off-the wall and has happy feet, but the matter of fact was that he was under duress from the Florida D-linemen. What do you expect him to do? Take the sack or throw the ball away. Consider Tebow in the same situation. He scrambled and made plays. Do you consider that off-the-wall or happy feet?

Funaki made plays and showed great accuracy in his throws and made outstanding decisions.

It's one thing to see things in practice but if you played the game you would know that some players are gym fighters and some are game players. Funaki is a game player. He showed it against Florida.

What he displayed that the other QB's didn't show was escapability and the ability to make plays when under pressure.

Also, as you can see when Inoke went in Coach Ron did not change the game plan just for him. They stuck to their basic plays. The only difference was Inoke was able to avoid the pass rush and stayed in control to do the right things.

Furthermore, what is wrong with Tebow's release? I suppose you want to also tinker with Colt's release.

Anonymous said...

kekoa,

haha, you make me laugh my brother....but the beast will be listening to his music to get in his zone....he just wants to get on the field and play the game he loves. bottom line is someone will win and someone will lose, but just to get on the home turf one more time, is a blessing in itself.

truly, a David and Goliath contest, but the Wildcats are just happy to be on the same field with last season's WAC champs and Sugar Bowl invitee....it is going to be epic.

Lizkauai said...

we are in tornado alley early this morning CST. Hope I can get out this afternoon!

Lizkauai said...

Bulla- looking forward to seeing the Beast in action!
Go Inoke!!
May the two fellas not meet on da field. Yikes!

Lizkauai said...

Armchair- Inoke on the field felt like Colt bringing the 'Skins back to life in their preseason games.

Congrats, new iPhone users. Woohoo!

Kifi said...

Pride. said...

D1. I actually don't think that a starter will assert himself for awhile. Like I said earlier, it will probably be about the fourth or fifth game before one of them rises to the top.

People forget that experience at the D1 level is very important. It's not as easy to just step right in and perform at a high level as people and fans think it is.

The quarterback will need time to settle in and play the game at this level before we can actually get a thorough chance to evaluate them.

In my opinion it dosen't matter who starts because we will probably see all of them in the next few weeks.
August 27, 2008 8:28 PM


I stand by a statement that I made last week about the quarterbacks. It will take a few weeks for one of them to rise to the top. In the meantime, we will succeed no matter who is at quarterback, because football is a team game. We need to all be patient while we wait for one of the QB's to assert himself. I believe that it will take four to five weeks.

Kifi said...

I will not choose or favor any quarterbacks, because I believe that is the coache's job, and they will make the best decision for the team.

What I did notice though was what I perceived to be a higher energy level among the players when Inoke was in the game. Inoke may not come out as the best QB during practice, but perhaps he may be the favorite among the players.

Back in 1981, the University of Hawaii had a quarterback transfer in from the University of Oregon. He had a rocket for an arm and threw a beautiful ball. His name was Bernard Quarles, who ended up having a good career in the CFL. Bernard got hurt before the season opener, and the coaches ended up starting Tim Lyons at QB. Well Bernard was clearly the coaches' favorite and Tim was supposed to start, only until Bernard worked his way back from injury.

Hawaii ended up starting the season at 7 and 0 with Tim at QB. When Bernard worked his way back from injury for the eighth game, he was named the starter against BYU in a nationally televised game. Hawaii lost that game 13 to 3, then went on to lose the next game to Pacific 23 to 17.

The coaches decided to try to get the magic back and decided to try Tim Lyons again, and they ended up walloping Colorado State 59 to 6 and then whipping South Carolina 33 to 10. Hawaii ended up with a 9 and 2 record, only sixteen points away from being undefeated.

Inoke's presence in the game reminded me of when Tim Lyons was in the game in 1981. Everybody wanted to play for him. I'm not sure why. But Tim was just a very, very quiet and confident guy, and the players believed in him. Tim didn't have the strongest arm. He wasn't the biggest or the fastest guy out there.

Tim believed in his team mates, and that was the key. He made his team mates believe in themselves, and they wanted to perform for him.

He handed the ball off to Gary Allen, David Toloumu, and Anthony Edgar. He told them to run it up behind Jesse Sapolu, Kani Kauahi, Jim Mills, Bernard Carvalho, and Jim Donovan. He said you guys run, block, and catch the ball. I'll manage the clock, call the plays, and make sure that we don't turn the ball over.

For some reason, Inoke made that same impression on me when he entered the game.

Again, I'm not saying that Inoke should be the starter. I'm just talking about a perception that I had on Saturday.

But then again, my observation could be a gross misperception on my part. I apologize to you all if it is.

Lizkauai said...

Pride. I believe we all felt energized when Inoke took the field. That "no quit, make something out of nothing" spirit poured out of him.
I believe the team solution will be found in the realm of the spirit and absolute unity.
Game experience will help the rest of it.

Kekoa said...

PridePeriod...Aloha my brother! You amaze me with your wisdom and personal insight on this team and it's individuals.

You remind me of a coach I once had that professed that the game of football is also a very strategic mental and emotional struggle. You must balance the physical side with the intellectual aspect of the game in order to be a winner.

You and I believe in that part of the mix. This is an important personality trait that Inoke has that is part of the intangible.

You have that trait Pride. Every Tsaiko in the house would follow your direction without hesitation. In combat, that's what we looked for in choosing a team leader for a mission.

...or should I consider the release of all those endorphins when you cut your hair? Bwhahaha!

Kekoa said...

I better go grab some Zzzz. Gotta be somewhere in the morning. Thought it was supposed to be a holiday! Oh well, G'nite all!

Anonymous said...

Bottom line is Hawaii failed at QB position. If it wasn't for turnovers, score would have been much closer. I've kept my mouth shut when McMac selected Raush and Alexander as potential starters (Inoke was my choice as Graunke was ineligible). I silently question his choice as both of them didn't have any Div I experience and are new to Hawaii's system. So I guess its live and learn and I guess this Florida game has been treated more as an evaluation game. In that respect I give credit to McMac since he got all potential QBs to show what they got. And now McMac can make (has made) a decision based on actual game play. Good luck to Inoke. He is a true leader and its great that he will get his chance to show what he can do.

Anonymous said...

Pride. … wow. I once again find myself nodding at another one of your analyses. Feeling grateful to have you around the blog, everywhere that it goes.

Post a Comment

You can use some HTML tags in your comments.